Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Park Estates Homeowners Association (PEHA)?

PEHA is a domestic nonprofit corporation most recently certified by the State of California on July 16, 1976.  It was originally established in 1948 to oversee the creation of the neighborhood now known as Park Estates.  PEHA’s ongoing mission is to preserve and enhance the property values and quality of life in Park Estates.  It is comprised of 611 homes across 9 tracts.


Who is a member of PEHA?

If you own property in Park Estates, you are a member.  (See By-Laws for legal definition of membership).


How does PEHA create benefits for its members?

PEHA fulfills its mission by enforcing rules called Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs) and by taking other actions that promote the general welfare of Park Estates’ residents.  It does these things through the auspices of a Board of Directors and an Architectural Review Board.


What does the PEHA Board of Directors do?

The Board, which is comprised of members elected by their respective Tracts, manages the business of the corporation.  It ensures member compliance with the CC&Rs, manages the corporation’s finances, communicates with members via the annual dinner meeting, the Park Estates Newsletter (PEN), the PEHA website, various mailings, and open Board meetings.  It actively enhances property values by employing the services of a Tree Commissioner and a Building Commissioner.  (See By-Laws for Powers and Duties of Directors).


What does the Architectural Review Board (ARB) do?

The ARB, which is comprised of a limited number of Board members, architects, and the Building Commissioner, enforces CC&Rs related to improvement projects on the exterior of homes.  The projects can range from minor cosmetic changes to major remodels.  Plans are reviewed at ARB meetings on the second Thursday of each month and are approved, approved with changes, or not approved at all.


What kinds of home improvement projects require approval by the ARB?

The CC&Rs require homeowners to obtain the approval of the ARB before beginning any improvement project on the exterior of their homes, including replacing “like for like.”  For example, some of the projects requiring ARB approval are:

  • Repainting the exterior of your house.
  • Installing new windows.
  • Re-roofing.
  • Installing solar panels.
  • Additions and/or exterior remodeling, including adding a pool.
  • Installing new fences or walls, or modifying an existing fence or wall, including just changing the color.
  • Removing a tree over 12 feet in height.



What do I need to provide to the ARB for project review and approval?

For major remodels, structural changes, and additions, bring three copies of your architectural plans and an architect’s rendering of the project to an ARB meeting.

If you are making changes in the color of the paint, stucco, or trim, bring samples of your color selections.  For new roofs, bring a sample of the actual material you plan to use.

If you have questions about the project review and approval process, you can either contact your tract representative or the Building Commissioner.  The PEHA Building Commissioner is John Garrett (562-715-5694).


How do I schedule time on the ARB meeting agenda?

Call the PEHA office at (562) 498-3383 to be placed on the agenda.  You will be informed of the date of the next ARB meeting.  In most cases, this is the second Thursday of the month at 7:00 PM at the Red Carpet Realty Office located at 5199 E. Pacific Coast Highway, Long Beach, CA  90815.

If you need to expedite your project and you cannot wait until the next regularly scheduled meeting, a special meeting can be arranged by the PEHA Office Manager for a special meeting fee of $300.


How long does it take for a major remodel to be reviewed and approved by the ARB?

The duration of the vetting process depends on how well prepared the requester is and whether the design fits harmoniously with the neighborhood.  Major remodels require at least one month to review.  Input from the Bord of Directors may be required on controversial projects, and this may extend the review/approval timeline.


What is the fee schedule for ARB reviews?

There is no cost for reviewing your project with ARB prior to beginning the project.  However, failure to review your project with ARB prior to beginning the project may result in a fine of up to $500.


What if I want to remove a tree?

If you want to remove a tree over 12 feet in height, you will need to obtain approval from the ARB.  In most cases, removal of a tree is contingent upon planting a new tree in its place.  Please provide photographs of the tree shown in the context of your lot.  Removal of a tree over 12 feet in height may result in a fine of up to $500 and the cost of a replacement tree.


What is approved roofing?

Roofing requirements vary to some degree across tracts.  Please refer to your tract’s CC&Rs or go to the HOA Documents tab on this website and scroll down to Architectural Design.


What is the difference between PEHA’s Bylaws and CC&Rs?

PEHA’s bylaws are rules that describe how the nonprofit corporation is to be governed.  They define such things as size of the Board and how it will function, the roles and duties of directors, and other essential corporate governance matters.  The bylaws are not public documents; i.e., they are not recorded with Los Angeles County.

The Declaration of CC&Rs, on the other hand, is a legal document that describes neighborhood, or tract, rules.  The CC&Rs are recorded in Los Angeles County and are legally binding on PEHA members.  They govern what you can, cannot, or must do with respect to your home.  Park Estates is comprised of 9 tracts, each with its own set of CC&Rs.


Why are the CC&Rs different for each tract?

The tracts in Park Estates were created at different times between 1948 and 1957.  As each new tract was designed, a different set of CC&Rs was implemented for that tract.  Each new set of CC&Rs varied to some extent from the older ones.  So inconsistencies developed between Park Estates’ various sets of CC&Rs.  For example, some roofing materials may be allowed in one tract but not allowed in others.


Who is responsible for the care of parkway trees?

The parkway section of your front lawn is, in most cases, the strip of land between the sidewalk and the curb.  PEHA plants new trees in the parkway area to replace dead or dying trees and cares for some wind-damaged parkway trees.  The homeowner does the rest.  This includes watering, normal pruning, and protecting the trunk from weed wackers.  Owners of drought-tolerant landscapes need to be especially vigilant about making sure their parkway trees receive sufficient water.  Consult PEHA Tree Commissioner Dave Thompson if you have questions: (562) 597-5448.


What am I buying with the fee I pay to PEHA?

PEHA members are currently responsible for paying a $125 annual assessment to the homeowners association.  In brief, this pays for the enforcement of CC&Rs, the maintenance of the parkway trees and other areas, and various services that contribute to enhancing property values and the general welfare of the neighborhood.


What power do I have as a PEHA member?

The rights and powers of PEHA members are described in the Bylaws and CC&Rs and are generally comprised of electing Board members, calling special meetings of the membership, voting to amend Bylaws and CC&Rs, and voting to approve changes in the annual assessment.


If I need to call the police, what is the best number to call?

For emergencies you can always call 911.  However, we have been advised that calling Police Dispatch direct at 562-435-6711 may get a quicker response.  Both numbers are in service 24/7.

Skip to toolbar